Bed Bugs in San Antonio & Austin
WHAT ARE THEY?
HOW TO GET RID OF THEM!
WHAT ARE BED BUGS?
Bed bugs are a wingless insect that feed off of the blood of humans and other mammals.
They are usually smaller that ¼ inch in length with a flattened oval shape. They are rusty brown in color and their young are difficult to see.
Bed Bugs may be found in homes, movie theaters, transportation depots, and restrooms, but are being seen more and more in apartments, hotels, homes, shelters, dormitories and nursing homes. Anyone who comes in direct contact with bed bugs can carry them into their homes because they are easily transported through clothing, second-hand furniture or bedding, suitcases, boxes or even hair.
Bed bug infestations are not caused by poor sanitary conditions. Failure to detect an infestation early can make the bed bug problem worse over time. Recognizing the signs of bed bugs and taking immediate steps to reduce their population can greatly lessen the risk of a severe infestation.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU HAVE BED BUGS?
Small rusty spots on mattresses and bed linens are usually the first sign of a bed bug infestation. These spots are actually bed bug droppings and blood spots.
Red itchy welts on the skin caused by bed bug “bites” are another indication of an infestation. Bed bug “bites”, occur when the bed bug is actually drawing blood. It may take as long as 14 days for a welt to appear.
Bed bugs only feed on blood at night. They hide in dark cracks or crevices during the day and are rarely seen.
While bed bugs are not known to spread disease, their bites can cause serious itching.
While bed bugs can be found in any area of the home, they typically live in the bedroom.
Look for bed bugs:
• In seams of mattresses
• Behind bed boards and bed frames
• Between cracks and crevices of walls and floor moldings
• Where carpeting adjoins walls
• In furniture and dresser drawers
• In seams of curtains that touch the floor
HOW CAN I GET RID OF BED BUGS?
Complete elimination of a bed bug infestation may be difficult without the services of a knowledgeable Pest Control Service. It may take several treatments to gain control of an infestation.
It is recommended that a thorough treatment by a licensed professional Pest Management Company be performed.
How can you help!
• Reduce the amount of clutter to achieve a good treatment and eliminate hiding places
• Vacuum mattresses, box springs and carpets, and dispose vacuumed contents in a
sealed plastic bag.
• Wash bedding and garments in hot (120 degree F) water.
• Put clothing in a hot dryer for at least five minutes to kill bed bugs.
Do-it-yourself measures used by homeowners and renters sometimes cause more problems than benefits.
It is better for a licensed professional company to treat for bed bugs rather than yourself because:
• The licensed company will use products labeled for bed bugs that are registered by EPA.
• Professional companies understand the biology and movement of bed bugs
• There are cases where bed bugs are severe and have numerous hiding places
Get a free quote from WorldWide Pest Control today or call us at 210-591-1327